Saturday, April 28, 2012

BERSIH 3.0

Today was a pretty historical day for Malaysia. I wish I could say I was one of the proud Malaysians to have attended the protest, but I have been following status updates on Twitter and Facebook tightly, hoping to gain an insight on the commotion caused in Kuala Lumpur. Ever since the talk about Bersih 3.0 started a week ago, it made me realise the importance of the movement and the voice of our nation. I as a student also directly pinpointed due to the call for a better public institution for the country. If anything, I wish that the protest has served us all effect in demanding a clean and fair election in the future. I can only say I will be glad to have witnessed one of the biggest changes in my own country during my lifetime.

How proud was I to be a Malaysian when they sang Negaraku and chanted Hidup Rakyat on the streets! And all the Malaysian protestants across the 80 venus in 32 countries!

The commotion in Kuala Lumpur today pained me, but what pained me most was the indifference of the people around me. People tweeting as life went on for them, the majority of them nonetheless unobserving towards the historic event that was happening to our own country. I wish I could understand why this sudden rush of patriotism is affecting me so much. Is it me, or them? Nelson put an insight to that where we witnessed people being mediocre when our national anthem played.

What has happened to the people around me? Do they not care whether our country deserve fair elections and affordable tertiary education? Perhaps my statements are half-baked, but I sincerely hope that my friends and family will pay more attention towards the going ons for our own sake whether or not they are interested in political affairs!

'HIDUP RAKYAT!'

No comments:

Post a Comment